Click here to VoTe for my bLoG!!!!

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Birthday Done Right

Yesterday was my birthday.  I turned 30 something.  As a mom, it's hard to decide how you want to spend your birthday and Mother's Day.  Well, for this mom it is.  You see, we are moms 365 days a year, 24 hours a day.  On 363 of those days, we work, work, work, work continuously.  But on these TWO DAYS, the table is turned.  I become the receiver, instead of the giver. {Cue singing angels}

The purpose of this post is to thank all who took a minute to wish me HaPpY BiRtHdAy, give me a sweet gift, share a few hours with me, or babysit my kids all weekend long:)

At school my class gave my a personalized notepad and the sweetest initial pendant necklace which I shall wear with love.  Several of the students brought some really thoughtful gifts as well.
(Teacher tip:  Teachers get lots of gifts from their sweet students.  Great ones are notepads, travel mugs, simple jewelry, candles, note from your kid)

I decided to start my birthday by giving to a great cause because I am so completely blessed, it's hard to believe sometimes. My family and I participated in the Walk to Cure Diabetes held by the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF).  My godchild, Blake, has Type 1 Diabetes.  He has had it for about 10 years now.  It has been a long, hard road for him and his family.  He has had a few close calls and is blessed to have the support of a great family.
The warning signs of type 1 diabetes include extreme thirst; frequent urination; drowsiness or lethargy; sugar in urine; sudden vision changes; increased appetite; sudden weight loss; fruity, sweet, or wine-like odor on breath; heavy, labored breathing; stupor; and unconsciousness.
<----This is a picture of my daughter and her cousin taking a break during the walk:) (in the wagon that my brother graciously pulled for 2.5 miles)  After the walk, I joined a friend at the gym and did a tiny bit of shopping.

Finally, my husband was able to come into town, and we joined some friends for a night out.  While at dinner, I realized that most of these friends had been in my life for over 15 years.  We have been at each other's weddings, watched each other's children grow, celebrated many birthdays together, helped each other through tough times, and cheered for each other in good.  I am so blessed to have them all in my life even if we find it hard to find the time to pick up the phone for long periods of time.

How does a mom of 3 accomplish SOOO much alone time on her special day???  Enter Nana.  My mom watched my kids Friday so I could go to Downtown Alive AND Saturday so I could go to dinner.  (My brother and sister entertained them at times as well.)  Then she woke up Sunday and cooked lunch for everyone!  Moms are magnificent.  When I am at my mom's house with my kids, it almost feels like a mini-vacay. {Cue sound of waves crashing onto shore}  She cooks for me, fixes me coffee, watches my kids, and makes sure some of my favorite foods are there.  No wonder I visit so often.

I am so truly blessed to have this family and these friends around me on this special day.  This birthday was truly done right.

~ACZ

No comments:

Post a Comment