Click here to VoTe for my bLoG!!!!

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

FAT Tuesday

Happy Mardi Gras to all!

Although Louisianians all over the state (and beyond) are paying homage to their "roots" by observing this dreary day in March as Fat Tuesday, I am sitting home, completing lesson plans, listening to my kids argue over the Mario game, watching the dog go in and out, in and out, in and out, and holding a sleepy-eyed 3-year-old. 

I am perfectly content being home instead of on the parade scene.  I have a quiet house.  I have my kids safely with me.  I have a clean bathroom.  Well, okay, I have a flat tire, so I couldn't go if I tried.  Still and all, I am fine with it.

I will observe this Mardi Gras in a more historical way.  In the beginnings of this French tradition, the term "Fat Tuesday" came from the idea of preparing oneself in the Catholic faith for the upcoming Lenten season, thereby ridding the home of all "fat", or gluttonous temptations.

I have in my kitchen the recently purchased Girl Scout Cookies.  Enough temptation to drive even  the most pious soul over the edge.  Hmmm.  I guess that's about the worst thing here.  I don't touch the kids' snacks so they don't count.  I can't throw away all of the kids' Valentine's Day candy, so I will just have to resist.

Tomorrow, on Ash Wednesday, I will enter the Lenten season a new person!  I will be careful in my meal and snack (the latter being the hardest one).  I will exercise regularly no matter the excuse I can produce in that moment. Meatless Friday will enter the scene.  I will give up the hardest thing I have ever had the courage to attempt. 

S-W-E-E-T-S.....................  :(

Wish me luck.  I'll need it.

~ACZ

P.S. I'd like to apologize in advance to the Tootsie Roll makers of America for abandoning them during this Lenten season.

No comments:

Post a Comment